It is great to see households today making a conscious effort to reduce their plastic consumption. Typically, we start this step by buying our food ‘naked’- not wrapped in unnecessary plastic. However, supermarkets don’t make this easy for us. Often offering a cheaper product wrapped in plastic as opposed to buying loose. We suggest looking for a local farm/farm shop who offer a weekly vegetable box. Quite often this produce will be organic, local, loose and in most cases, cheaper!
Other than food, what else comes in plastic and is sometimes overlooked? Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel, Toothpaste, Tooth Brush, Sponges, Toilet Roll etc. There are many companies, away from supermarkets offering eco-friendly alternatives – just have a google. We have listed a few simple changes you could make to give yourself an eco-friendly bathroom:
- Shampoo can be substituted for a Shampoo and Conditioner Bar (Just like Soap)
- Shower Gel can be substituted for a bar of Soap
- Toothpaste tubes can be replaced by little capsules that dissolve in your mouth – these live in glass jars
- Plastic Toothbrushes can be replaced with bamboo toothbrushes
- Sponges are often made of plastic. These can be replaced with eco friendly silicone or even a sea sponge!
- Finally, Toilet Roll – choose a toilet roll made from bamboo. Naked Sprout toilet rolls are made from bamboo and contain no plastic, chemicals or bleach.